The Blazer was an old steam tug of 283 tons. She had been built by S.M. Knight of Ayr in 1888. She was formerly called the Charm and operated out of Liverpool. She sank on the 10 November 1918 close inshore near the Conger ledgers.
The wreckage of the Blazer now rests in about 30 feet of water on a reasonably flat bottom consisting of rock and fairly thick kelp. We hadn’t quite hooked into the main body of the wreck, but after a bit of searching we eventually found it.
The Blazer, although not whole, is still in large recognizable pieces. The bows are virtually intact, and not far away lies the stern section, also quite well preserved. The boiler lies almost in the middle of the two sections, but slightly to one side. There is a mass of plating and other bits and pieces which provide a lot of scope for general rummaging around. But the main attraction is the intactness of this wreck. The conditions were very bad on our dive, strong currents and quite rough seas. So in calmer weather the Blazer should be even better. The fish life was a bit sparse, except for the wrasse which were there in quite respectable numbers and variations.
Worth another visit.